Wednesday, April 04, 2007
Mark Never Ends
I have been given the pleasure of exploring how the book of Mark ends. Mark is a greater writer than we give him credit for. Of all the papers I've written I've enjoyed doing the research for this one the most. I've examined the possibilities of all the endings of Mark from the short ending to the lost ending. After the research I've done and based upon my conclusions I find that I am leaning very strongly towards the ending at Mark 16:8. Mark uses his skill as a dynamic writer to leave his Gospel with a suspended ending. We all know what happens after verse eight or else the book wouldn't exist. Mark ends his Gospel in the same abrupt way as it began. When reading the ending in light of the beginning light is shed upon that fact. Other factors play into the supporting evidence of verse eight but I have shared one with you. If you do take the longer ending as authentic then I would like to leave you with a quote from Word Pictures in the New Testament by A. T. Robertson. "The great doubt concerning the genuiness of these verses renders it unwise to take these verses as the foundation for doctrine or practice unless supported by other and genuine portions of the N. T.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I seem to lean the same way in believing that the longer ending was not the intended ending. My dad even asked me this past weekend about the ending of Mark and it made for really god discusiion, he was not real sure where he stood on the longer ending but it was helpful to him to know the information we learned in class. I just think that without the longer ending the book flows the best and end the way it began.
Post a Comment