Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mark

I have been reading Matthew recently and i guess i have just noticed a few differances between it and Mark. In my ignorant youth i thought that all the gospels were the same, some just told different stories that the others had failed to mention. but in comparing the two after studying Mark in depth i can feel a difference, in the author's style and intention and miss the trends of Mark. It is encouraging to know i am learning and that this class is helping me see God's word in new and even exciting ways.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It has amazed me, also, to reread the Gospels in light of what I have learned and notice the differences in them. There really is a different picture of the same Jesus presented in every gospel.

Anonymous said...

I've also being reading Matthew, and after studying Mark for so long, I am realizing that Matthew is a completely different book. Up until this class, I'd never even considered that Mark might have been written first, since the order in the Bible, of course, is Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. I'd alway assumed they had been written in that order.

Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing. I always though they were all written with the same purpose... to teach me. Wrong. Yes, they are all good for me but the different gospels all have unique purposes. They were written by very different men and some accounts are second hand. I think the differences add to the validity of the message. I always remember the analogy of if there were a car accident you would hear many different accounts. One of the passenger, the driver, the victim, and the innocent bystanders in all directions. The stories would be different not nessicarily right and wrong, only different. That is true and real life. I am glad the gospels are not all the same.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same way...whe I was younger, I thought all the gospels were the same. College has really helped to open my eyes to all of the differences. So often in discussion, the gospels are put into one category, but I've found it is quite interesting to discuss them as the separate books that they are.