Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Humanity of Christ
I wrote my Christian Doctrine paper on the Humanity of Christ. This fell in line nicely with the quest for the historical Jesus. Most of my sources were more modern but most of them would refer back to ideas of Schweitzer and Bultman. I know in class we were really staying on the parameters of subjects but I hope in the next few classes that we get into the meat of who Jesus was as a man. I have never been so intrigued by Jesus as I was when I was studying Jesus the man. We really do forget his humanity. The quest for a historical Jesus is the quest for a man that really lived. He laughed, cried, got angry, made friends, ate food, traveled. He was fully God but also fully man. We looked at this matter in Doctrine but I am not sure you can have a Life of Christ class without looking at the fact that he was a physically alive man. The stories of Jesus that we have do have a theological slant to them but at least they something to go on. They do show Jesus having emotion and being a human man, so that is step one on the quest for some histoy on Jesus.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The quest is not only for the human man, but also for the one who claimed to (and by the way is) be God. We can infer from the gospel accounts that Jesus expressed emotions and other human characteristics, but this does nothing to form a reconstruction of what Jesus would of been like. Just simply accepting what others have written or speculated about the person of Christ is an unexamined faith.
Post a Comment