Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Misguided Scholars

It is amazing to hear what many scholars have to say about Jesus and the sources of the scriptures. Some are right on the money, others are full of hot air--to put it a nice way. I will not give away the content of The Real Jesus, but after reading about the Jesus Seminar, I really wish someone would beat them over the head with one of their Bibles. Everything in the Bible does not have a clear explanation, and many times it is better NOT to try to explain everything. Just because thing about Jesus in the Bible does not live up to the way WE believe it should, that is not an excuse to thrown it out. The gospels are no less true with what seem to be inconsistences. We must remember that they are four DIFFERENT accounts of Jesus, apparent inconsistences lend to their truth, and do not detract from it. Christ's follows did a lot better putting the stories on "paper" than we do in the modern game of telephone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What I found intrusting about the Jesus seminar was not that their facts were necessarily incorrect, but that they were slanted and inculpated, such as the term “some 200 scholars.” I have been doing some reading in Job and the idea that God is beyond our grasp and understanding is really sticking with me. Scholars try to discover truth and have theories and debate their theories, but we rely too heavily on these theories and opinions. I agree scholarships is good and that to question everything is not wrong, but we must keep in mind the things that are true and not place theories as facts. Watching our pride wouldn’t hurt either.