Tuesday, April 10, 2007

3 Parables Luke 15

On the way out of Life of Christ on Monday Dr. Foster drops the line don't forget to read Luke 15 because we will talk about it in more depth next lesson. I read the chapter which is broken down into three parables that Jesus speaks to sinners, taxcollectors, The Pharissees and other teachers of the law. There is a lost sheep and a lost coin these story pretty much are mirror imagesof one another. The shepherd leaves the 99 to find one and the woman searches the whole house for the one lost coin. They both rejoice when they find their lost possessions and call their friends and neighbours up on their mobile phones to rejoice with them. Jesus says in both of these parables that there is much celebration in heaven when a sinner repents. The parable of the lost son stills gets the same message across however Jesus doesn't talk about heaven rejoicing in this parable. Instead Jesus talks of the angry brother who refuses to party in the wake of his younger brother's return. His father says you don't understand "you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found." I'm really interested in Dr. Foster's notes on this because sometimes stories that I'm so familar with I just skip over but the class lesson he talked about turning the other cheek. His performance with Abbott I will never forget, I never even considered that take on that passage. Warning to Dr. Foster though, I may steal your story on that for a sermon of mine.

No comments: