I had always thought of Christ's crucifixion as unique; specifically in light of the spiritual significance. I understand that the spiritual significance impacted the historical uniqueness
of Jesus' death, but I had never taken into consideration that uniqueness outside of the specifically spiritually significant events, such as the resurrection.
The unique things of Jesus' death play into the spirituality. For example, Jesus was taken off the cross after his death. The Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels states that most convicts were left on the cross to be eaten my carrion. However, if Jesus had been left, as was customary the resurrection would have turned out quite differently, to say the least. The fact that Jesus legs were not broken, is also untypical, according to DJG. That, along with Simon carrying Jesus' cross near the end of the journey to the crucifixion cite, was also unusaul.
It is interesting how the small, unique events in Jesus crucifixion either, prepared for certain following event, or fulfilled prophecies concerning Jesus death.
Alex H.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Those are very interesting things that you don't normally think about. What if the birds had eaten him, his resurection three days later had already been promised. So what would he have looked like when he arose three days later. Or even with the legs broken. I know those are simple humanistic things that i am thinking about but what if?
Post a Comment