The Transfiguration passage has always intrigued me. I have always wondered why this happened. Why did Moses and Elijah show up? Why did Peter, James, and John get to go with Jesus? I won't take the time to post them all, but Garland gives a chart comparing Jesus with Moses (342). Garland also talks about Elijah. I think it's interesting, and I like what Garland says about the Transfiguration: "It serves to confirm that the suffering Jesus will endure is not incompatible with His glory."
Mark mentions that Peter wants to build three shelters. Verse 6 though, says he did not know what to say because he was afraid. So did he really want to build three shelters? Or did he, in fear, just say something that might sound good to Jesus? I wonder what I would have done if I were one of the disciples that day....and that's something I still wonder, because I don't know what I would have done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yeah I understand what you are saying and I would not know what I would do in this situation. I think the transfiuration can be looked at as a gate to the near future and ofcourse the future is very unpredictable. That is probably why Peter said what he said. He was trying to A)Tell Jesus what he thought he wanted to hear and B)Predict what he would need to do in the future. The transfiguration is before some of Jesus' greates teachings on discipleship, so Peter is probably trying to figure out were all this is leading.
Post a Comment