Wednesday, March 14, 2007
What kind of shirts do you wear?
We've all seen the t-shirts that Dr. Foster talked about in class on Monday...the ones that take secular images and turn them into Christian sayings. To be honest, I never gave those shirts much thoguht before that class...I mean I see them all the time...especially in my hometown. We host numerous events and designing the newest and latest t-shirt is the highlite of planning the event....okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a little bit, but I'm not too far off. We should be original in what we have to say. Why do we need to take an idea that's already been used way too many times before? The slogan usually supports things that are most certainly not completely centered around Christ. So why use the secular slogans? It doesn't make that shirt any different from another one....and if it isn't different, then the message isn't portraid in a different way either. I think about it like this. If someone says they are a Christian, then they have to show it with everything they do, right? So when we see someone who conforms to the ways of this world but still says they are Christ-like, what impression does that leave? You know as well as I do that his or her witness is hindered by these actions. Same with the shirt...the wonderful message being written on that shirt shouldn't be hidden beneath the ideas of this world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I could not agree more. If we are a true Christian then we do not have to wear some tacky tee shirt explaining our beliefs for us. And many of the Christian Tee shirts out there are poorly stated anyways. When I see the Reeses shirt made in to a Christian message all I think about is Reeses Penut Butter cups. It is a poor concept and lack of creativity. I think this is a much broader issue that has to do with the church being behinmd the times. I heard a preacher once say that MTV is going after a generation with a billion dollar budget and we try to compete with a .25 $ sock puppet. Pathetic.
Post a Comment