Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Just in Acts and in the gospels?

While reading in dictionary of Jesus and the gospels it was talking about how often the crowd's were used in the bible. It brough up something that I have never thought about before the word crowd was only used in Acts and in the gospels. When they were referring to the crowd it often times meant pharisees or people of that nature. It again makes me think deeper about things and ask myself why isn't crowd mentioned other places. Did Jesus draw crowds more than any other person is that why? I know this is a small nit picky thing to blog about, but it's just another little thing that i have never thought about.

2 comments:

Disco_Kimy said...

I could be a possibility but I like to look at things from the aspect that the author of a work has his own specific vocabulary. there are other "crowds" in the NT, they are just not called crowds so maybe within those 4 authors maybe that word was a part of their vocabulary. Possibly Paul just used synonyms when required to designate. I haven't done any looking into it but it would be interesting to get a greek concordance and see where the word is used and try to see if the other NT writers use something of an equivalent. If John uses the word in his gospel then the question would be, why is it not in Revelation or his three epistles. That is an interesting idea that could be explored.

Disco_Kimy said...

that was Toby.