Wednesday, February 21, 2007
What Do You Think You're Doing, Mate?
Jesus sends the money exchangers out of the temple. After reading the cleansing of the temple in all of it's four gospel contexts I was surprised by how much they differ. What is said on page 820 of the DJG has helped me understand the slightly different messages of the same story. They can be put in these four categories: 1) It's a religious event intented to cleanse the Temple of impurities. 2) It is a messianic event intented to include the Gentiles in the scope of Temple activities. 3) It is a prophetic event intented to announce the destruction of the temple and it's eschatogicial restoration. 4) It is a politicial event intented to disrupt the wrongful activities of the Temple because they had become exploitative. I think you really need to read the contexts in the order of Mark, Matthew, Luke, and John to understand how they differ and how Mark may have influenced the writings to come. The major point of the text I still got what I have always got; what Jesus did what in the Temple eventually led to the authorities challenging him and later his cruxifition. People still listened to this character because he had authority and he spoke with an incredible knowledge of the Torah.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment