Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Conflict over fasting...

I'd never fully understood Jesus' reply to the questions about fasting in Mark 2:18-22. The lightbulb came on during class on Monday. I had no idea that one was not supposed to fast on the Sabbath or at a wedding feast. Jesus often refers to himself as the bridegroom. As was pointed out in class, why would one want to fast when the bridegroom was actually present. I am still struggling to process all of the information. Much of it remains jumbled in my head. The part about the wineskins and the patches, even after going over it in class is so confusing. I often wonder why Jesus spoke in what seems like riddles...did the disciples understand these statements better. Here is all I can get out of it without wrinkling my brow in great confusion: the presence of the bridegroom calls for celebration, but the bridegroom will leave, and then the fasting will begin again.. If anyone remembers any insight about this passage that I have forgotten, please explain... The first half of the passage makes sense, the second makes my mind go in circles. I know the patches dialogue is discussing the new being incompatible with the old, but I simply cannot wrap my mind around what it means.

No comments: