Wednesday, February 07, 2007

So much more than a miracle

When Jesus cast out a demon or healed someone, we often find that he commands the demon/person to remain silent. Why?...Because Jesus wanted to be distinguished from the other miracle workers of the time. He didn't set out to amaze people to create a reputation. As Dr. Foster said in class, Jesus built himself a reputation, but it wasn't in that manner. Jesus wasn't like everyone else. (Yes, we know that now, but back then, things were a little bit different.) Sometimes I try to imagine myself in those days. What would it have been like to see Jesus pass me on the street? It must have been amazing to see him perform a miracle. But then I stop to think. He knew that when the news of his miracles traveled, his days would be numbered. Jesus had much more to accomplish than miracles during his time on earth.

2 comments:

andy said...

I was really intrigued by this lecture. One thing that also stuck out in my mind and I looked through my notes and couldn't find it was what Dr. Foster said about the forgiveness of sin in the possessed victim. Jesus was not trying to make a name for Himself, but he was there to help those in need, and what they needed at the time was a miracle, maybe physical and not spiritual. Forgiveness of sin was not needed even though all my life I was told that sin causes all bad things. Now I've known this for several years now, but I have family that believe that sin causes all ailments. Good entry on the real reason of the reason of Jesus' existence here on Earth.

MatthewWarrenBell said...

I was also fascinated with this lecture and idea. When i asked the question about was Jesus wanting to hide his miracles reverse psychology and Dr. Foster answered no I didn't know what to think about the thought of Jesus wanting to hide his miracles. This topic is just such a deep issue to think about, you could take the direction of your thoughts so many different ideas of why Jesus actually did this