Tuesday, February 06, 2007

If you need me I'll probably be in the bathroom

I have just now come upon Garland’s commentary on Mark 5:21-43. The bleeding woman and the ruler were both desperate in their situations. They were clinging to their faith in a man they hardly knew to change their lives forever. It leaves to think about how desperate we are for a savior. My desperation for something meaningful in my life led me to cling to my faith in a God who made me. Lately it seems there have been more attacks on my faith and doubt has been making its presence known. Garland quotes Martin Luther and it is basically the coolest thing I’ve read in a while. “Martin Luther once remarked that his insight into God’s grace came to him while he was ‘on the toilet.’ …the phrase was a common metaphor for being in a state of utter helplessness and dependence on God.” When it comes to faith sometimes I’m “on the toilet.” I just have to give all my doubt to him and tell him that I completely trust him no matter what. I think that in the contemporary sense that not only does being on the toilet get a laugh but it really helps us realize how helpless we are. Next time you’re on the toilet just think about how at any moment that T-Rex from Jurassic Park could come in and eat you.

2 comments:

The Christian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Christian said...

Or while sitting on a toilet at T-Rick's think about how many other nasty people have been there... but seriously, it seems that like your girlfriend said last night at collide the more she doesn't understand things, even about God, the more her faith is built. It seems that in my times of greatest need, pain, or ______(some negative adjective) God is proven to be even more faithful in life.
When your faith is all you're left with, it is still enough to move mountain