Tuesday, February 06, 2007

THREE?!

Does Mark form groups of three in his book on purpose, or is this something that was went to be done for a reason. Scenes such as three boat scenes with disciples, three passion predictions, three commands to stay up and watch to the disciples, and three times they sleep. As Burridge says it appears Mark seems to just want to get the point across, which I believe is what he is doing since it is possible that more things such as the disciples in the boat could have taken place but just weren't recorded. I just find it interesting that Mark choose a three fold theme throughout some of the stories he is telling. Why didn't he choose 2 or 4 he went with three though its almost like he wants us to see this and wants it hammered in to minds as it is a very important thing we need to know.

Andy

2 comments:

Disco_Kimy said...

Yes I find it fascinating that Mark wrote is Gospel in what seems like in 3's. I'm guessing that he did use it to get his point across and to condense the Gospel. Mark seems to like to condense everything and to be concise when he does it. Mark seems to be very meticulous in the stories and teachings he wishes to portray in his Gospel. I guess altogether it all falls into Mark's fast paced style. The Gospel with the speed of the lion.

Disco_Kimy said...

that last comment was Toby