Wednesday, February 07, 2007

That's thick headed

As I read the portion of reading on page 183 and 184 in the DJG, I was left kind of with a "duh" moment. It amazes me to think that the disciples (the ones Jesus called out) watched as Jesus healed the sick and undemonized(?) the demon possessed and still were confused on the reality of his diety. I guess it is easier for me to look at Jesus and automatically know who he is based on the knowledge I have of what is to come. But I always have to remind myself that the disciples did not have a NASB to read up on what is to come. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but I am just astonished how they could see a "man" heal and cleanse without magic and not know he is of God. Because of the bible I know that later on Peter will confess him to be Jesus the savior and Son of God, but what kept him from realizing that earlier? Why would Judas betray the one who is empowered by God? I know it is a lack of understanding, but I would also be inclined to say it is a lack of faith.

2 comments:

steven said...

I too have thought of this topic on many occasions. I am always amazed as to the "gap" of our mindset in comparison to the first century biblical characters.

I wonder though, could the disciples lack of faith in Christ be due to the crowds and other people's scrutiny? I know this has no biblical basis and is completely an argument from silence, but maybe...

-Steven Price

Anonymous said...

Well ya. That is why I think Moore was a little off in thinking that anyone could have been Jesus disciple back then. There were no witnesses, no bible, no proof. They were on blind faith and it was confusing. Even in this day and age we are taught not to believe everything we here or not to trust our eyes. I am sure that many things Jesus did looked like tricks and that would be difficult.