Wednesday, February 07, 2007

An Idea about the Disciples

In the reading of Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels the editors present an idea about the disciples that is very interesting. When the disciples are introduced they get a positive portrayal from Mark, and then later they get a very negative portrayal. The book says the disciples did not truly comprehend Jesus' ministry of teaching. That is a very interesting thought to think about, because we always think about the disciples always standing behind Jesus accept the few that notably didn't stick behind him. Their incomprehension eventually leads to Judas betrayal and Peter's denying Jesus. I had never thought about the disciples in this manner it was a deep thought to think about.

1 comment:

Alex said...

Good Point! Matt, you're so smart, and pretty and talented! I think you should get an 'A' based solely on your good looks! Um, sorry, I'm still trying to get out of cheerleader mode. Seriously though I agree with your point. When I was reading the article about blindness and deafness, it refers to the disciples as blind. Their blindness can't really be seen at the beginning of the gospel. As Mark progresses through the story their lack of understanding is more clearly seen by the readers. It's sad to think that Jesus closest followers didn't understand him until after his death. Even Peter states that Jesus is the Christ, he still denies that fact that Jesus is gonna be killed and caused to suffer.